Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Wedding Ring



You've seen it on social media a million times. Someone gets engaged and within minutes there is a picture of the ring. I was listening to the radio on my way to work the other morning and they were having a discussion about wedding/engagement rings. The host of the morning show was considering buying his fiance a larger, more expensive, engagement ring because she seemed to be embarrassed by the size and appearance of her current ring. I sat and listened to woman after woman call in and encourage him to get her a bigger and better ring. Why? Apparently women sit around and compare rings. Most of the callers also mentioned that they would judge a woman based on her ring. That they make inferences regarding the man from the ring he selects for the woman. 


This got me thinking. Ladies, do we really place the value of our man on the size of our ring or the number of carats it has? Honestly, I don't find myself constantly looking at the rings of other women. I don't sit around and have discussions with other women about how much money my husband spent on my ring or how many carats it is. This may be due to my lack of female relationships though. OR most likely because these are not the women I would likely find myself associating with.

When my husband presented my engagement ring to me I didn't see dollar signs and bragging rights; I saw love, compassion, and commitment. My husband spent less than $1,000 on my engagement ring. Had he spent more I probably would have stroked out. We were 19 and we didn't have a lot of money. He washed cars in the freezing December cold to pay for it. I wear my ring proudly, not because I need a status symbol, but because I know what that ring represents. 


Side Note: Yes, that is my engagement ring in the picture. Not too shabby for less than $1,000 if you ask me. And, Daddy D's ring? Less than $100 from Overstock. Good thing we didn't pay much for it because he lost it on our trip to Jamaica!


Ask me about my actual wedding band? We used a promise ring my husband purchased for me when I was 17. Just babies in high school. I don't know what it cost, but I'm sure it wasn't more than $100. 


Do I think I need a bigger and better ring to feel more secure in my marriage? No. 


Can we afford a bigger and better ring now? Sure. Do I think it's a waste of money...YES. The size/quality of a diamond ring does not change the meaning or the heart of the man behind it. 


With Valentine's Day right around the corner, let's remember that it's not about having the most expensive or the biggest diamonds. Let's place a little more value on our relationships than that.



Happy Valentine's Day <3

No comments: