Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Why we don't say {Terrible} Two's...



If you are a parent of a toddler I know you have heard it a million times. You've probably heard it from friends, from family, and even from total strangers. Your kid turns the magic number TWO and all of a sudden they are slapped with a label, {terrible} two's.

The words make me cringe. I mean, you realize you just called my child terrible? You may as well have said, "hey, your kid is a maniac that no one wants to be around and your parenting sucks."


I just can't understand why we would want to walk around calling our children terrible. Does my kid do things that make me want to run and hide in the pantry and cry? Yes. Question my sanity? Yes. But that doesn't make them "terrible" or warrant a label of any sort actually. Let's just teach them at an early age that labels are totally acceptable, sounds cool right?

Reality check, a two year old is a tiny person. A PERSON. They have good days and bad days just like every single one of us. The difference? You've had years to learn to cope with your bad days. Another thing? They get tired and aren't allowed a cup of coffee or a five hour energy drink pick me up. I would cry too if someone yanked my two cups of caffeinated bliss from my morning routine. They are growing and learning. Let's give them a break.

I'm not saying they should run around like wild Indians. That was probably politically incorrect, but I'm like 1/800 American Indian so it's cool. Children do crave discipline. We should teach them and help them learn about boundaries and the world around them, not use a label as an excuse.

So please, stop calling my two year old {terrible}. It's just rude.

No comments: