Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Monday, January 18, 2016

DIY Farmhouse Sign



We got a little crafty over the weekend! I know I'm not alone when I say I have been absolutely drooling over every single thing Chip and Joanna Gaines touch. If you have been living under a rock they are the hosts of HGTV's show Fixer Upper. Just the best show ever.

Their style is the perfect mix of vintage, rustic, and chic. I can't seem to get enough of them! I'm constantly trying to figure out ways to DIY inspiration from their designs in to our quaint little farmhouse. Thus, this idea was born!


I LOVE woods! I'm sure you can catch a glimpse of our cabinets in the background of this shot. I love how natural wood is, and every knot and line tells a little unique story. It's timeless.

A couple of weeks ago Daddy D and I rummaged one of my parent's old barns for some wood we could use for this idea. When I told him the larger piece needed to be 6 feet he may have given me crazy eyes for a minute, but I think he is starting to learn to trust my design choices. Maybe.

Daddy D measured everything out, cut, and sanded down my wood. I'm sure I could figure out how to do this myself, but you know, that's what we have hunky men for in our lives right?! I stained the larger piece of wood using some leftover wood stain we already had in the attic, it took two coats to get the color right. While that was drying I painted the other board using, again, leftovers from the attic. I'm sure you remember {this project}...same paint. I brushed the white paint on thin and kind of messy, I wanted the wood to be visible, and I wanted it to have a worn look to it.

Staining Tip: Use a damp rag to wipe down the wood first. This will help the wood take the stain better. This was an excellent job for mini d, and she thoroughly enjoyed getting to help!

I printed my letters on my computer by going in to Microsoft Word and choosing a font I liked, measuring out my letters, printing them, and cutting them out. I placed the cut-outs on the board after the paint was dry and traced them out with a pencil. Then Daddy D and I used leftover black paint to paint the letters we traced.

After we let everything dry Daddy d used some screws and wire to do the manly hanging stuff part. And that was it! We put absolutely no money in to this project, and it took us probably 2 hours of work not counting dry times.






No comments: