Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Monday, August 10, 2015

Inside Our Windows - Our Kitchen

Let's play catch-up, if you are new to my blog you may want to start with my first couple of posts in this series.

Inside Our Windows - Mud Room
Inside Our Windows - Office Space


Thoughts behind the series, just to re-cap: I thought it might be fun to allow you to peak inside our windows. Through a series of posts I will show you bits and pieces of the place that our family calls home. I will try to explain where most of our pieces came from and the meaning behind them.


Never perfectly clean, and always bustling with activity our kitchen is part of the center of our home. When we built our house we knew we wanted an open concept floor plan. Our mudroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room are basically one huge open space. No matter what we are doing we are usually always together. Lucky for us, we like each other. It's also super helpful when I need to keep an eye on mini d, which is all the time. 

We have granite throughout our kitchen. It's an expense I'm glad we spent. It can withstand pretty much anything. Taking a hot pan out of the oven and not having to worry about putting something under it to keep your counter tops from being damaged is pretty awesome. 

We considered putting in a "farmhouse" style sink when we built the house. The history behind this sink changed my mind. Made of pure cast iron this sink has a beautiful story. The sink came out of Daddy D's grandmother's house. It shows wear from years and years of delicious Southern cooking and cleaning.  Every sign of wear is a piece of our family's history. It is the true epitome of {farmhouse}, and now it's story will still live on for generations to come. 

Our back-splash is relatively new. Daddy D and my mother installed it a few months ago. Beside DIY in the dictionary is a picture of my mother. She knows how to do EVERYTHING. For under $200 they installed this back-splash together, and it is perfect for the space!

A few years back a friend of mine from high school was having an Estate Sale for her grandmother. I found this piece of stained glass at the sale and had to have it. I'm pretty sure I didn't pay more than $20 for it. It made it's way in to our kitchen window, and adds an array of colors throughout the day to our kitchen depending on the way the sun hits it. 



This piece doesn't have much history behind it, but has been a great storage solution for me. Our cabinets are very high, and I was having a hard time getting to my cookbooks without climbing on the counter tops. I purchased this piece from Home Decorators Collection when they were running a sale a while back and it has been a lifesaver. 

Of course I used Ebates to get additional cashback on the purchase. 
What is Ebates? Check it out in my blog post: 

My Favorite Ways to Make Money Doing {Almost} Nothing


These aren't all my cookbooks, but these are some of my go-to favorites lately, and having them easily accessible is a must! 



I kind of have a dishcloth obsession. I love them. They are an inexpensive way of adding personality to your kitchen without a big commitment, because you can change them out throughout the year.

Our oven/stove is gas, and I will say that having previously used an electric oven/stove I do prefer gas over electric. Looking back I wish I would have splurged a little more and gotten a double oven instead of a single. I constantly find myself needing two ovens at once!

My favorite thing about my kitchen? Probably having a huge monster island. It's perfect for serving dinner or hosting parties. I'm sure you saw it if you read Mini D is Two.

We may not physically cook a full meal in our kitchen every single day, but we are ALWAYS in the kitchen for one reason or another. It's definitely part of the {hub} of our home.

No comments: