Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Inside Our Windows - Dining Room

Let's play catch-up, if you are new to my blog you may want to start with my first couple of posts in this series.

Inside Our Windows - Mud Room
Inside Our Windows - Office Space
Inside Our Windows - Our Kitchen


Thoughts behind the series, just to re-cap: I thought it might be fun to allow you to peak inside our windows. Through a series of posts I will show you bits and pieces of the place that our family calls home. I will try to explain where most of our pieces came from and the meaning behind them.



Our dining room is massive, and it serves so many different purposes. It's our office space, my {coffee} nook, the place where we attempt to eat most of our meals, and even sometimes a racetrack for mini d's barbie four-wheeler. 

Looking at our house plans, initially, I had no idea just how big this room would realistically be. I knew it would open up to the rest of the house, but the dining space itself is just so big. I wasn't sure what to do with it at first. It's taken us nearly three years to piece it together. 

Our dining table came from a local furniture store, and it serves the purpose. It's not my favorite and I'm still on the lookout for the perfect farmhouse table with a bench to complete this space. It will come soon enough, but in the meantime this table is just fine.


My little reading nook is my secret spot in the mornings. Before everyone gets up I love to sit here and drink my morning coffee. I sit in the quiet, I pray, I stalk people on Facebook, just the norm stuff. Outside this window is the perfect view of our country landscape. We purchased the table and chair set from a local boutique in our hometown. It was already re-done when I found it, and the colors were perfect. 

I made the flower arrangement myself using clearance items from Hobby Lobby a couple of years back. I always pull it out in the Spring/Summer because the colors have a way of brightening my soul. The pinks, yellows, and oranges work so well together.



This seemingly normal bowl holds a huge piece of my heart. My Papa Tom was a large part of my life until he passed a few years ago. Late in life he took pride in growing gourds, and loved to tell anyone willing to listen all about them. I can't even tell you the number of times he and daddy d stood out in the field and counted gourds together. A year or so ago daddy d crossed paths with a man whose wife made artwork from gourds. We had a pile of Papa Tom's gourds in our barn and offered to give them to her. We knew he would have loved the idea. In return she made us this piece of artwork from one of the gourds he grew. Every time I look at it I think of him. It is hard to tell from the picture, but the details are just amazing. I usually fill the bowl with painted pine cones. I switch out the pine cones with the seasons. 



We purchased this pie safe at a local antique store. It's original purpose was for mini d's nursery. Life circumstances changed, and mini d never even one time slept in her nursery. This piece didn't make the cut for the big girl room, which she still doesn't sleep in. Oops. It did however fit perfectly in to our dining room. 

The room may feel complete, but I don't think any room is ever truly complete. I'm constantly making changes, especially with the seasons. As our lives continue to change, I'm sure the purposes for this room will continually change. My only hope is that we always try to have dinner together as a family. Dining room, living room, in the car, as long as we are together, that's all that matters.




No comments: