Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Bed Chest Upcycle


I'm not sure if you've figured it out yet, but Daddy D and I have a love for making old things new again. The idea of taking something that is considered garbage by someone else or seemingly has fulfilled it's life and breathing a new life and purpose in to it is so fulfilling.

These are always my favorite projects. Many moons ago, before mini d, we had a small family of pigmy goats on our little farm. Our sweet little goat family now lives a relaxing life in a petting zoo, but that's another story for another day.


Stop it, I know, you can't handle the cuteness. 

Anyway, we found an old wooden feed box in one of my parent's barns to keep their hay contained. After the goats went to their new home we just tossed the feed box back in the barn and forgot about it. Until this weekend.

For a while now I have had this vision that I could turn the feed box in to something else. It was made out of good old solid wood and had some really neat weathered bolts on it. Finally it hit me, a bed chest! But it needed some work. And I'm horrible and didn't take an actual {before} picture. 


Daddy D sanded down the chest and created a bottom for it. It took him roughly an hour and a half. Mini d and I were there for moral support. It was seriously a million degrees outside. 

It's hard to tell in the picture, but the box is roughly 4 ft x 3 ft if I had to guess. That would be a conservative guess. It's pretty big.

After it was sanded down I painted the outside of the chest a vintage white. I didn't put the paint on very thick because I wanted some of the older wood features to show through. I also didn't paint the inside at all, I wanted to keep that original and create dimension. 


I think the entire project took us maybe two hours. We are considering adding feet to the bottom, but need to find the right ones. I want to find something older to re-purpose that will fit nicely with the project. 

Total cost for this project was around $15.00.


No comments: