Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Toddler Toys, MUST HAVES



Ok so we aren't huge on having a bunch of toys in our house. We believe in having just enough to fuel imagination and learning. That being said, these things multiply. Like seriously, where do they come from?! I love a good baby doll, don't get me wrong, but somehow we went from no baby dolls to like twenty overnight and I NEVER even purchased one single doll. Grandma's......lets just leave it at that. You know we love you.

One thing I have learned as a parent, you rarely have to actually buy a toy. They will find you. I promise.

Now that we are in full blown toddler mode we have some toys that I just don't think we would want to live without. They have really captured mini d's imagination and attention. It is so fun to watch her grow, and play.

So what are our FAVORITES?

Play Kitchen


Best toy ever invented. Mini d loves her kitchen. She is constantly "making coffee" or cooking "hamburgers" in her kitchen.

Toys R' Us Price: $150
Mini d's Uncle paid $10 at Goodwill for this practically brand new and gave it to her for her birthday. SCORE!

All Things Colors



From sidewalk chalk to color crayons and coloring books mini d {loves} playing with her colors. Coloring is also such a wonderful teaching tool, and kind of fun for mommy and daddy too!

Cost-wise you are getting a lot of bang for your buck with coloring. Our Dollar Tree carries an array of colors, coloring books, and chalk.

Baby Dolls

Yes, I know I called the baby dolls out earlier. Seriously though there is nothing cuter than your little girl loving on a baby doll as if it were real. I happen to know quite a few little boys that like being little daddy's to their baby dolls too. Our favorite dolls are Cabbage Patch and Water Baby.


I love that all of mini d's cabbage patch dolls are originals that I picked out as a little girl at the actual Cabbage Patch Hospital in Cleveland, Georgia. I can't wait to take mini d one day and let her pick out one of her own. These dolls are great, because they can be kept and passed down generations.

We also love our water baby. Word of advice, never leave your water baby outside overnight. Dogs are attracted to water babies and like to use them as chew toys. This clearly ends in disaster.

Books

I'm not sure if books count as toys, but I'm going to count them anyway. Books are everywhere in our house and I wouldn't have it any other way. Reading is SO SO important to a child, and encouraging it from an early age has many benefits. 

What is our current favorite book...a book about reptiles. This book was Daddy d's growing up and mini d is currently obsessed with it. She loves telling the snakes "no no." It's adorable. Except I will admit, the snakes creep me out.


Balls

Balls of all shapes and sizes. Bonus points if it bounces. Extra bonus points if it has Minnie Mouse or Spiderman on it. She loves throwing, kicking, and catching balls. I'm all for any toy that helps to keep mini d active and playing. We also love toys that serve dual, indoor/outdoor purposes.



Daddy D and I don't place a lot of value in material items, so we tend towards a minimalist approach. However, toys that help a child's imagination grow and flourish are always welcomed additions to our playroom.


No comments: