Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Recipe Alert: Fiesta Taco Soup



Because adding the word fiesta in front of it just makes it sound more fun.

I have to admit that until last night I had NEVER made taco soup. I kept hearing rave reviews about it, but wasn't sure my lack of cooking skills could tackle it. After I learned it met my top three criteria for a family dinner, 1) Cheap 2) Easy 3) Quick, I knew I had to at least try it. I think I can speak for all of us, including mini d, when I say it was a HIT and will now be a staple in our menu plan!

I've meshed together a few different recipes from all over the place to come up with what ultimately became our Fiesta Taco Soup recipe! So.....

What do you need?


1 Pound Beef (Turkey or Deer can be substituted)
2 Cans Corn
1 Can Black Beans (I used reduced sodium)
1 Can Pinto Beans
1 Can Rotel
2 Cups Water
1 Packet Taco Seasoning
2 Packets Ranch Seasoning
- You don't see a packet in the picture because we buy our ranch powder in bulk, not by the packet. We put ranch on EVERYTHING, it's a southern thing. So in my case this was 6 tablespoons of powder.
Salt to Taste

Sour Cream
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Bag of Frito Chips

How do you make it?

Brown your meat. While the meat is browning start opening up your cans and throwing everything in a big pot. Do not drain your corn, but be sure to drain and rinse your beans. Black beans are gross when you first open the can, who knew! Drain your meat.

After your have drained your meat throw it in the pot with everything else. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve up your soup in a bowl topped with sour cream and cheddar cheese. We like to use frito's to scoop out our soup!




This is a VERY easy supper time recipe, and was SO good. We had so much left over after the three of us had dinner and made lunch for the next day that I was able to freeze the rest for another dinner down the road. I've heard this is an excellent freezer meal, I will update once I re-heat ours in a month or so.

Money Saving Tip: If you are living on a budget don't be afraid to buy the store brand. Buying off-brands saves us a ton of money, and you usually can't tell a difference. Daddy D never once looked up at me during dinner and said, "hmmmm, these must be store brand pinto beans."

Enjoy! Much Love, Misti





No comments: