Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Cutting the Cord - No More Contracts



If you are still paying a cable or satellite provider for television you are living in the Stone Age. Unless you are in that introductory "gotcha" period you are probably paying upwards of $100 a month for these services. Think about what you could do with $100 a month for a minute??? Exactly, a lot, we aren't talking pennies here people.

So what am I talking about? Cutting the cord? 

I'm talking about streaming.

I should probably stop here and issue a disclaimer...

Disclaimer: I am not a "techy" person. AT ALL. I just upgraded my iphone 4s to a 5s. Before my 4s I had a flip-phone. Daddy D still has a slider. Remember the slider? We do not own an ipad. I think you get my drift. Please ignore my lack of technical terms, I'm just trying to get the basics across.

Ok, so as long as you have a strong wireless internet connection and some sort of streaming device you can stream things like Netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu or Dish Sling or a million other things.

We use Centurylink for our wireless internet. It was recently brought to my attention that Centurylink is no longer accepting new customers in our area because they have reached their max capacity. This just blows my mind, they are pretty much the only option in some rural areas. People of Centurylink if you are reading this, which you are not because I am not even a speck on your radar, you need to get with the program and step it up.

What about a streaming device? If you have a gaming system in your home chances are you can stream with it. I don't have experience in this area. The only gaming system in our house is Nintendo. Old school. Because we didn't already have a system we purchased two Roku devices for around $100 each last year. We have one in our living room and one in our bedroom. The investment has paid off big time. It was only a one time purchase, no monthly fee, and we have had zero problems with them!

Check it out:


The instructions that came with the device were easy peasy for Daddy D to figure out, and we were hooked up and streaming Netflix in no time. 

So we pay $7.99 a month for Netflix, and that's it. No comparison to the $100+ we were being charged by Dish/Direct TV before cutting the cord. Not to mention the hassle of dealing with TERRIBLE customer service, Direct TV I'm talking to YOU.

Want live sports? Dish just announced their Sling app for $20 a month. You can get live channels like ESPN and ESPN 2 with the app. This is revolutionary for streaming! No contract. We are considering this for college football in the Fall. 

There are so many other options you can choose and add on. It's endless!!

To sum it up here is my list of pro's and con's...

Pro's:

Cost

NO COMMERCIALS, not sure if you have realized it but the nastiness of "the world" is infiltrating your home with commercials. I knew it was bad before we cut the cord, but now if I watch television at someone else's house and see the commercials I am even more aware because I'm not numb to commercials. You get used to seeing them, and don't think twice about it. I'm here to tell you the majority of them are AWFUL. Half naked men and women, curse words, violence, I could go on and on. Pay attention, don't let "the world" shape the minds of our babies. End rant.

You get to choose what your children watch. Mini-D has her own channel that is strictly kiddie shows. She doesn't even have access to any adult shows. And again, no commercials. There are many times I cannot control what she is exposed to, but this is one area I can control. Control freak? No. I want to maintain her innocence. I don't want her to grow-up too quickly. Sue me.

Watch what you want, when you want. Find your show, hit play. It's that easy.

Movies. Tons and tons of movies.

Con's:

Sometimes you have to pay a little extra for things like live sports. Even the little extra is NOTHING compared to the monthly cost of satellite/cable.


I think that's it. Really. 

Basically I'm saying streaming your television is AWESOME. We were skeptical at first, especially Daddy D. After making the switch I can assure you we will never go back. It won't be long before Cable/Satellite becomes the VCR. Switch now or switch later, I would rather keep my money in my pocket now. Much Love, Misti



No comments: