Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Grocery Shopping & Menu Prep - Part Two


Grocery Shopping & Menu Prep
A Busy Mom's Guide: Part Two

Warning...

If you are looking for a healthy, clean eating menu plan please stop reading here. This is not the blog for you! That reminds me of the following....


But seriously...mini-d eats SO much healthier than daddy-d and I (future blog on feeding your toddler/baby). I'm not saying that we don't attempt to be healthy. I'm just saying sometimes the majority of the time we opt for quick and convenient food options. At least it isn't fast food....right?! 

Ok so at this point I'm assuming you've already read Part One of this series...if not just click on over to it and start there! 

So it's Thursday, not really it's Saturday but you get where I'm going, and I've scoured my kitchen for what's already on hand. When did I do this? Oh at 4:35 am because when you are working outside the home full-time that's when things get done, when everyone is still asleep. Now it's my lunch break and I've got the Publix weekly ad pulled up online. I'm comparing what I've got at home with the list of what Publix is running a sale on that week to determine what quick and easy meals we can come up with for dinner. 

What about breakfast or lunch? I said three meals a day....and I meant it. We are super busy in the mornings. I keep certain things on hand at all times for breakfast and when we run out I buy more. There isn't a ton of planning that goes in to it.

Must Have Breakfast Items:
Eggs
Eggo Waffles - Homestyle
Syrup
Peanut Butter
Bisquick (pancakes)
Pillsbury Crescents and Southern Style Biscuits 
Little Smoky's 
Sausage (ground)
Bacon (only when it's BOGO)
Cream Cheese (publix brand)
Cheerios 
Fruit

Lunch usually consists of leftovers, tuna, chicken salad, or wraps/subs. 

Must Have Lunch Items:
Smoked Tuna (in the pack)
Cooked Chicken (in the can)
Mayo 
Wraps
Lettuce
Cheese
Jalapenos 
Deli Meats (save money and buy pre-packaged off brand)
Ritz Crackers (only when they are BOGO)
Chips (we buy what's on sale)
Italian dressing (publix brand)
Yogurt

SO MANY RECIPES....we do so much with what is listed above. It's just too much for this one blog. For the purposes of the blog today we are just going to cover basics. I will be sure to go in to more detail regarding recipes and ideas in future blog posts!

Nom Nom Nom...now to my favorite...DINNER TIME. Dinner = Supper. All the same thing, who cares. 

So I've added the basics we've run out of or need to stock up on based on what is BOGO that week for breakfast and lunch. Those are staples. Our dinner menu changes weekly though. I love trying out new recipes on Pinterest, and I have some easy peasy recipes that were passed down to me from my mother or my mother-in-law that make a regular appearance on our menu (future blog post in the making). I plan weekly, but try not to repeat menu items in a month. Oh and did I mention I come from a long line of Southern cooks, and my parents own one of the top 100 restaurants in our home State. Yes I said STATE. That's a lot of pressure. Daddy-D will tell you that somehow those genes missed me, but I promise I do at least try. I give myself an A for effort. 

Anyway, I determine our dinner menu for the week. On Tuesday's my in-laws usually cook dinner for us and on Friday we may or may not eat at said family restaurant. Now you're thinking we are spoiled, and maybe we are. Oh well, so that leaves Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. There are occasional Saturday's we choose to eat out (remember $100 eating out budget). 

Dinner Staples (Recipe Blogs to follow)
Tater Tot Casserole 
Soy Sauce Pork Chops 
Scrambled-up Hamburgers
Sloppy Joe's
Spaghetti
Breakfast for Supper
Hot Dogs
Hamburgers
Taco's
Crock-Pot Chicken Taco's
Enchiladas
Crock-Pot Chicken and Rice
Hibachi chicken w/ Fried Rice
Pot-stickers w/ Fried Rice 
Rotisserie Pork Tenderloin
Fried Bologna Sandwiches (told ya to stop reading way up there if you wanted healthy)
Crock-Pot Ranch Pork Chops
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches w/ Soup
PB & J Sandwiches w/ Soup
Egg Salad Sandwiches
Hamburger Helper

Just to name a few ^^^

I will be sure to link the recipes back as soon as I can get them blogged so make sure you check back for more details! 







No comments: