Curls and Pearls

A Mommy Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

DIY Baby Food


It may surprise you to know that making your own baby food is SIMPLE. It will also save you a ton of money!

To be honest I'm really not sure what inspired me to want to figure out how to make our baby food. I guess I was already making the milk so why not branch out and make the food too? I'm also cheap remember? Ha, it probably had something to do with saving money! And I swear every time I turn around something is being recalled! At least by making it myself I knew what was going into it.

So what do you need to make your own baby food?

You need three essentials: 

1) The Beaba Babycook - See picture above (the picture is linked)

2) Oxo Tot Storage Containers
3) Organic Fruits & Veggies


Let me blow your mind for a minute. I can buy one sweet potato (organic) for $1ish. Out of one sweet potato you can get around 8 servings of baby food. For that same $1 you can buy ONE single jar of Gerber, and who REALLY knows what they put in there!

So how does it work?

Buy your produce, we chose to buy organic at Publix. You know I love Publix. Some say buying organic is overrated and normally I can tell you we don't go that route because it is a little more expensive. However, a babies tummy in the beginning has a hard enough time as it is. I don't want to complicate things with preservatives and pesticides.

Bring your produce home, wash it, peel it, cut it in to chunks. Follow the instructions on the Beaba and fill with water as indicated, much like you would a Keurig. Steam your veggies in the Beaba. When it beeps it is ready (usually 10 - 15 minutes). Press the puree button and puree your baby food. Some food doesn't even need to be steamed, like avocado. If your baby food is still too thick just thin it out with a little water, or if you are breastfeeding add breastmilk. Scoop the baby food into your storage containers. Once the food is at room temperature you can freeze it. Unthaw as needed in the refrigerator overnight and warm in hot water. I wouldn't recommend using the microwave.

For those that don't purchase a Beaba, which really saved me, you can steam your veggies on the stove and puree using a regular blender. This is time consuming, and really wasn't worth the effort for me personally.

Anyway, I would designate a baby free time period and make up quite a bit of baby food and freeze it. Baby free time? What is this time you speak of? This is a magical time when your house is quiet and everyone else is asleep. Unfortunately, because your house is quiet you may find yourself hiding in your laundry room using your blender, because God forbid you wake someone up! That would be disastrous! So back on track, you need to make a lot of food at once so that you aren't constantly pulling everything out to make your baby food. I would recommend making enough for two weeks at the time.

We started introducing baby food at around 6 months, before this, especially for a breastfed baby actual food is really unnecessary. I will also say that we skipped all of the cereals and oatmeal's. We generally follow the "food before one is just for fun" rule.

Great first foods:

Avocado
Sweet Potato
Banana
Squash
Blueberries

Even to this day mini-d adores avocado. It is by far her favorite. I always thinned it out a bit with breastmilk and it was SO EASY to make.

The baby food combinations you can make are really endless. The Beaba came with an excellent recipe booklet. You can also check out my Pinterest for some great links to recipes.

Between 6 months and a year we really did a mixture of breastmilk, our own purees, and baby led weaning. If you are curious about baby led weaning you can also check out my Pinterest boards (see link above).

After about 18 months she was far too independent to let me attempt to feed her puree's. I will be sure to follow up with a post on toddler feeding soon! Much Love, Misti















No comments: